Senior Electrical Design Engineer
Reports to: Electrical Director
Location: Office Based (Solihull) with Site Visits As Required
Stewarts are a building services consultancy providing mechanical and electrical design engineering services nationally.
Stewarts work on award winning projects across a wide range of sectors including healthcare, education, residential, commercial, industrial, defence, transport, leisure, and retail.
Stewarts’ net carbon zero approach to design focuses on key issues such as environmental impact, quality of services, future flexibility and operational running and maintenance cost of facilities. Stewarts are passionate about what they do and aim to develop a thorough understanding of their clients’ projects and aspirations to create strong partnerships and tailored solutions. Stewarts was originally founded in 1995 and has since grown steadily into a team of directors, associates, engineers, CAD technicians and office administrators. In 2020 Stewarts joined the C80 Group, a multidisciplinary building consultancy, allowing us to expand the range of services offered to include building compliance, energy assessment and testing services alongside our core building services design offering.
- Starting from first principles having the ability to produce co-ordinated cost-effective electrical building services designs which are harmonised & co-ordinated with other engineering & architectural disciplines
- Ascertaining Clients requirements either through reference to their specification documents or through site visits with nominated personnel. A key requirement is the ability to determine the actual operational requirement and propose appropriate solutions.
- Working alongside the Design Manager/senior designer (team lead) and where applicable the Project Manager to ensure scheme designs are value engineered and adhere to client specifications whilst retaining appropriate levels of operational security and full compliance with all relevant Health, Safety and Environmental legislation.
- To promote innovation and challenge parties involved to ensure cost effectiveness in all design activities.
- To provide outline and detailed engineering from inception to completion of schemes utilising our design partners, individual knowledge, site installation and construction personnel.
- To closely coordinate design production between Stewart Associates in house design teams, external design companies, our suppliers, and subcontractors and where applicable the Clients’ designers.
- To ensure all design work is completed to agreed programmes, financial budgets and KPI’s.
- Liaison with Client’s engineering staff or where applicable their design consultants to ensure designs are approved in accordance with the timescales stipulated within the contract.
- Attend internal and external design reviews and where applicable progress meetings.
- Be able to generate electrical installation packs including but not limited to cable calculations, schematics, termination details, cable schedules.
- Identification, cultivation & generation of new business
- Chartered Electrical Engineer
- Minimum BSc Electrical Engineering (Building Services Bias)
- Hold Membership Level of Relevant Organisations Including CIBSE, MIHEEM, MIET
- Full UK Driving License
- Minimum 7 Years Broad Based PQE
- Demonstrable Experience of Healthcare & Education projects
- History of Structured Career Development & Commitment to CPD
- Demonstrable Experience of Writing Design Specifications & Production of Drawings
- Technical Due Diligence Survey Experience
- Experience & Understanding of Working Within a Group Structure
- Established Network of Clients (I.e., Architects, PMC’s, Developers & Main Contractors)
- Working knowledge & ability to use Microsoft 365, 2D / 3D AutoCAD, Revit MEP, Cymap, Bluebeam REVU etc.
- Good understanding of AutoCAD
- Good understanding of (Trimble) formally AMTECH
- Use of proprietary software to generate lighting design Dialux / Relux
- Commercially & contractually aware with in depth knowledge of RIBA design stages
- Working knowledge of SBEM and Part L requirements
- Innovative Always Looking for Opportunities to Leverage New Products, Technologies, and new ways of Working.
Communications & Working Relationships
- Team Orientated Able to Develop & Lead High Performing Teams
- Understanding of the Value of Being Part of a Group Business Structure
- High Level Communication Skills with Ability to Communicate both Internally & Externally at all Levels from the Workface to Board Level
- Ability to & Understanding of the Importance of Mentoring / Personal Development of Others
- Ability to Influence with Excellent Negotiation Skills
- Subscription to & Participation in Monthly Contract Reviews
- Customer Focussed with Ability to Develop Sustainable Customer Relationships at all Levels within Customers Organisations
- Working Relationships with Manufacturers, Suppliers and Supply Chain in General
- Generate New Business Opportunities in Line with Company’s Strategic Plan
Frameworks, Boundaries & Decision-Making Authority
- High Level of operational Freedom Always Working Within the Company’s Authorisation Matrix & Policies & Procedures.
- Enabled to Independently Make Operational Decisions on Own Projects
- Self-Starter with Ability to Work with Minimum Supervision
- Proactive & Self Motivated with a Positive Aspect Towards Work & the Company
- Ability to Work Under Pressure & Prioritise in Order to Meet Tight Deadlines
- Situationally Aware with a Clear Balance Between Diplomacy & Assertiveness
- Ability to Prepare & Deliver High Quality Presentations both Internally & Externally
- Organised with Ability to Manage Own & the Workloads of Others
- Problem Solver with Ability to Identify Risk & Establish & Implement Mitigation Plans
- Industry Competitive Salary
- Car Allowance
- 25 Days Holiday (increasing with service up to a maximum of 29) plus Statutory Bank Holidays
- Free Parking at Stewarts Office Location
- Contribution Towards Membership Fees of Relevant Professional Bodies
- Hybrid Working Option
- Company Pension Contribution
- Staff Appraisal Process in Place
- Ongoing Support for CPD
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com.